A journey of recycled goodness. Recipes to reinvent leftover food.

I have been thinking about this blog for some time now, but amidst the laughter (and tears) of two small children - we'll call them Little Miss and Monster, a husband - we'll call him Mo, and a dessert business - we'll call that Very Sweet, time is scarce, to say the least. But somehow on this rainy November day I have managed to slow down time - or at least not feel guilty about spending too much of it - to create this blog. I have been quite lucky as a mom. Little Miss and Monster will eat anything. Green beans, squash soup, roast beef, even tofu. Mo isn't picky either. In fact, I've even seen him order liver. But one thing that all of them refuse to eat? Leftovers. It doesn't matter how much they've enjoyed it, even praised it, the night before - they don't want to eat it again. Hence the birth of this blog concept. Not only, to get my family to eat leftovers, but also to help us all use just that much less. I know that my little family probably throws away enough food to feed another family of 4 every week. I hope this to be a place where we can all come together and share our recipes and advice to help recycle leftover food into something fabulous. If you would like to be a contributor to this blog, please leave a comment. Bon Appetit!

Friday, November 14, 2008

Carolina Style Pork Sandwiches

Last night I made pork tenderloin for dinner. A picky-eater pleaser, but not when it comes to leftovers.
So today I turned the tenderloin into South Carolina-style pulled pork sandwiches. It's a tangy mustard-based sauce I came to love when living in Coastal South Carolina. Hope you like it.
South Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Leftover pork loin or tenderloin
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
2/3 cup mustard
1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar
1 T coarse salt (keep in mind how you seasoned your meat the first time around and reduce salt and pepper accordingly.)
1 T Tabasco
1 t pepper
1/4 t garlic powder
10-12 sandwich rolls

Place pork in crock pot. In large glass bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Pour over pork and cook until able to shred with two forks; approx. 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low. Place shredded meat on rolls and serve.

I like to top with gold or South Carolina-style barbecue sauce. You can also top with cole slaw for a nice contrast of flavors.
(Sorry about the pictures. I'll get better at photographing food.)

1 comment:

Très Sucré said...

Can't wait to try this Somer! It sounds so good I may not wait until I have leftovers, I may just have to make this for this! Thank you!