A journey of recycled goodness. Recipes to reinvent leftover food.

I have been thinking about this blog for some time now, but amidst the laughter (and tears) of two small children - we'll call them Little Miss and Monster, a husband - we'll call him Mo, and a dessert business - we'll call that Very Sweet, time is scarce, to say the least. But somehow on this rainy November day I have managed to slow down time - or at least not feel guilty about spending too much of it - to create this blog. I have been quite lucky as a mom. Little Miss and Monster will eat anything. Green beans, squash soup, roast beef, even tofu. Mo isn't picky either. In fact, I've even seen him order liver. But one thing that all of them refuse to eat? Leftovers. It doesn't matter how much they've enjoyed it, even praised it, the night before - they don't want to eat it again. Hence the birth of this blog concept. Not only, to get my family to eat leftovers, but also to help us all use just that much less. I know that my little family probably throws away enough food to feed another family of 4 every week. I hope this to be a place where we can all come together and share our recipes and advice to help recycle leftover food into something fabulous. If you would like to be a contributor to this blog, please leave a comment. Bon Appetit!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes

We love pumpkin at our house. Pumpkin cupcakes, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cookies, etc... But most of my pumpkin recipes call for 1/2 can of pumpkin and I always have this sad little cup of pumpkin sitting in my fridge. Today I used that sad little cup of pumpkin to make some whole wheat pumpkin pancakes. They are really hearty and healthy, not too sweet, and really moist...

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes



1/2 c wheat flour
1/2 c white flour
1 T brown sugar (you can add more if you like them sweeter)
2 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t salt

1 c milk
1 beaten egg
2 T oil
1/2 - 3/4 c pumpkin puree (whatever you have leftover)
1/4 c chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat your griddle to medium high. Mix all dry ingredients and set aside. Beat together wet ingredients and add to dry ingredients all at once. Beat until combined. Fold in nuts. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto lightly greased, hot griddle. Cook for about 2 minutes per side (or until golden). Gently toss the cakes from one hand to the other a couple of times when removing from griddle to release the steam (this stops them from becoming soggy while you cook the others). Top with butter and maple syrup.

*This is adapted from my banana nut pancakes. To make the banana version just omit the nutmeg and allspice and replace the pumpkin with 2 smashed bananas. You can also add mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to either version for a sweeter variety!

1 comment:

mandy said...

Oh my gosh--I love this blog! I am always feeling guilty about throwing leftovers away. These pumpkin pancakes are perfect! Can't wait to try them!

Thanks for visiting us at littlebirdiesecrets.com!